Boonsboro Cemetery - Boonsboro, Maryland

In 1810 Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and Trinity Reformed Church (Church of Christ) joined together to consecrate a church building called the Salem Church.  It was located on Potomac Street in Boonsboro and both congregations used the building for services and church activities.  The land for the church and Cemetery came from the farm of the William Boone family, founders of Boonsborough.Salem Church Cemetery

At the time, a Cemetery was established behind the Salem Church, which includes the Boone family burial site.  The Cemetery exists today and is still maintained by the Boonsboro Cemetery Association, comprised of board members from both churches. 

Together, the congregations also established a larger Cemetery a short distance away.  It was to succeed the original Cemetery behind the Salem church building.  This is the current site of the Boonsboro Cemetery with burial sites available.

Headstone Salem CemeteryIn 1870, the congregations out-grew the facilities of Salem Church and both built a new church.  The Lutheran congregation sold its share in Salem and purchased property at 64 South Main Street.  The new Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was dedicated in January 1871 and the Reformed Church constructed a new building on the site of the old Salem church.   

The Boonsboro Cemetery is located behind the current Lutheran church, on Cemetery Lane.  It is part of the Boonsboro Historic District.

To locate a grave at the Cemetery, you may want to visit www.findagrave.com.  The Boonsboro Cemetery has no affiliation with this site and is not responsible for the information contained therein. 

Boonsboro History - Read the History of Boonsboro on the town's website.                     

  • image description
  • image description